A Brief History of Santa Barbara Teams
The Santa Barbara Saints were one of the 8 original teams to play in the inaugural season of the California League in 1941. Although the Fresno Cardinals were crowed League Champions for having the best regular season record, the Santa Barbara Saints defeated them in the first Cal League Playoff President's Cup. When the Cal League suspended operation due to WWII in 1941, the Santa Barbara Saints were n first placed and crowned League Champions. When the league resumed in 1946, the Santa Barbara team took on the 'Dodgers' nickname to match their MLB affiliate, the Brooklyn Dodgers. Following the 1953 season, the Santa Barbara and Ventura teams combined into one team called the Channel Cities Oilers, splitting games between the two cities. The team moved to Reno halfway through their second season in 1955 due to financial difficulties. Cal League baseball returned to Santa Barbara in 1962 when the league expanded from 6 to 8 teams. The new team was called the Santa Barbara Rancheros. In 1964 the team changed their name back to the Santa Barbara Dodges as they were affiliated with the Los Angeles Dodgers. After the 1967 season Los Angeles switched their affiliation to Bakersfield, forcing the Santa Barbara franchise to fold.